Baradine is a diversion town between Coonamble and Narrabri. Baradine is a service town within the rich cotton and wheat belt region and a gateway town to the Pilliga forest. The visitor will get a nice feel with the town and the friendly people.
The area was originally inhabited by Aborigines, and first settled by Europeans in the late 1830s and was proclaimed a village in 1865. Baradine's name appears to have been derived from an Aboriginal word for "red wallaby". Baradine Post Office opened on 1 January 1867.
Baradine is the administrative centre of the Pilliga Scrub and the State forests of the Pilliga are part of the vast and unusual woodland, famous for its cypress pine, its broom plains, its vivid spring wildflowers, its koalas and a rich supply of honey-bearing flora. In a state where eucalypt forests dominate the landscape, the Pilliga offers scenery that is distinctly different.
Be sure to visit the Pilliga Forest Display Centre is a must visit and a good reason to visit Baradine. The centre is free and an opportunity understand the Pilliga There is a War Memorial also at this location.