The town was originally named Colombo; the name was changed to Bemboka in 1883.
The first European settlers arrived in the Bemboka area in 1871. Bemboka was gazetted in 1877, following a survey a year earlier. The "Lyttleton" private subdivision was incorporated into the village in 1923. The town was the location of the former Mumbulla Shire Council administration offices and at one stage had its own newspaper, the Bemboka Advocate.
The town economy is based on dairying with butter and cheese factories all established in the late 1890s. Bemboka is notable for retaining most of its older timber buildings. The Bemboka Pie Shop is renowned within the Bega Valley Shire.
Bemboka is a pretty spot, and should a coffee or refreshment be in order coincide a visit to that Catholic Church.