Bingara is very pretty cross roads service town to a wealthy rural community. Most essential services are available in Bingara. Bingara also has active heritage practices in place. Lots of old buildings are sure to survive.
Bingara (Aboriginal for 'creek' changed the spelling of its name from Bingera to Bingara in 1890. The first Bingera Post Office opened on 1 January 1853 and was renamed Upper Bingera in 1862 and closed in 1868. The second Bingera office opened in 1862 and was renamed Bingara in 1890
In 1827 Allan Cunningham crossed the Gwydir River near Bingara. At the time he mistook the river to be the Peel River, but realised his mistake on his return journey. The discovery of gold in 1852 brought prospectors to the area. In the 1880s, copper and diamonds were discovered also, causing a rapid development of the town. Bingara is one of the few places in Australia where diamonds have been found. In fact, Bingara was the largest producer of diamonds in Australia at that time.
Bingara is located very close to Myall Creek, the site of the massacre of 27 to 30 Indigenous Australians.