BOGAN GATE

As small as Bogan Gate is the town qualifies for a synopsis. Bogan Gate is the last (or first) town on the Kidman Highway heading to Parkes. There is very little at Bogan Gate and does not even a service town. The name is also quite intriguing.

At the 2006 census, Bogan Gate and the surrounding area had a population of 253. Bogan Gate is derived from the local Aboriginal word meaning "the birthplace of a notable headman of the local tribe".

The village lies in wheat and sheep growing country and is on the Sydney/ Broken Hill rail line and it is the junction for the local branch line.

Attractions include the annual Bogan Gate Arts Festival, golf tournaments at the local nine-hole Bogan Gate Golf Club

Bogan Gate Post Office opened on 15 December 1896 and may now be closed.

The Bogan Gate War Memorial though is quite something and includes a cenotaph, garden and a Breaker Morant Memorial.

The town has two old wooden churches. An Anglican and Catholic.

The Bogan Gate pub is now a tavern, motel and mixed business.

When passing through a look at the War Memorial is in order.

 

 

  Fireplace   Dump Station
  General Store   Bottled Gas
  Internet   Caravan
  Camping   4WD
  Kitchen Facilities   Disabled access
  Laundry Toilets
  Campervans Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed   Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
  Scenic   Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
  Stream Water   Walking tracks
  Rotary Club   Lions Club
  Gymnasium   Gardens
  Winery   Whitewater Rafting
  Surfing   Skydiving
  Skiing   Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
  Movie Location   Mountain Biking
  Kayaking   Jet Boating
  Information   Hospital
  Hang Gliding Golf Course