Bundarra is a small country town midway between Inverell and Armidale. Unless traveling this route the visitor will not encounter Bundarra. Like many of its rural counterparts Bundarra is suffering negatively from an economic perspective.
Bundarra is named for the Kamilaroi Indigenous Australian word for the Grey Kangaroo. The Kamilaroi and Anaiwan groups were the original inhabitants of the Bundarra area. A local hill nearby Bundarra called "Rumbling Mountain" is the subject of an Aboriginal myth that attempts to explain its periodic rumbling and shaking.
Bundarra Station was founded in 1836 by Edward G. Clerk and a hotel and store were established on the future town site. A church was constructed on the site in 1857 around the same time as the town survey. The old buildings in Bundarra’s main street were constructed between 1860 and 1880. A school was established in 1869, becoming a central school in 1955. The Roman Catholic convent was built in 1908 and a newspaper, the Bundarra Advocate was founded. At one stage the town included three hotels. three stores, three butchers and a bank.
The bushranger, Fred Ward, known as Captain Thunderbolt, stole two horses belonging to a police inspector from Abington station, near Bundarra in 1868.
The historic townscape of Bundarra lead to the town hosting some on location filming for the Fred Schepisi directed film, The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith, based on the Booker Prize winning novel by Thomas Keneally
For those travelling the cross roads that intersect, enjoy what is on offer. Bundarra is a long way from main centres and main roads. A deliberate diversion is not necessary.