Canowindra is a crossroads town that is not on one of the major western highways. Canowindra is a diversion town. Canowindra could be encounted when traveling the Orange to Cowra (or vice versa) direct route. The traveller will find Canowindra an interesting visit.
A post office opened at Canowindra in 1847 with mail coming from Carcoar, but the village was handicapped as part of a main route to the lower Lachlan, first by the lack of a bridge and later by the construction of the railway. Today the main street has an old-world air, with its kerbside verandah posts lining the dog-leg course of what was once a bullock team track.
In October 1863, Ben Hallís gang took over the village for three days and entertained the whole population, as well as some stray travellers, all herded into the inn. An account of the incident was reported in the local papers.
A monument to Ben Hall, on the site of Robinson's inn, the Travellers' Rest, was erected in 1951, but evidently further research has indicated that the events recorded here happened at the inn on the other side of the river.
Other notable buildings include the nursing home, the Junction Hotel, Finn's Building, the Victoria Hotel, the former Bank of NSW and the former CBC Bank. The Trading Post, a homewares shop, won the inland tourism award for 2006.
Canowindra is a heritage town with two museums. An overnight is required to get the best out of this nice town.