Carcoar is the sister town to Millthorpe that is also a short distance from Blayney. Carcoar is encounted when traveling between Blayney and Cowra (or vice versa). Carcoar is also a slight diversion of the hgy. Be sure to take the diversion.
Carcoar is a Gundungura word meaning either frog or kookaburra. Carcoar is located in a small green valley, with the township and buildings on both banks of the Belubula River.
Carcoar was once one of the most important government centres in Western New South Wales. The town has been classified by the National Trust due to the number of intact 19th-century buildings.
Bathurst in 1815 set up his camp at the head of Coombing Creek.
The first settlers arrived in 1821. The first official land grant, comprising 560 acres (2.3 kmē), was issued to Thomas Icely on 26 May 1829. He named it Coombing Park. In 1838 Thomas Icely requested that a village be established to service his large pastoral estate. On 29 September 1839 Carcoar became just the third settlement west of the Blue Mountains.
The first allotments in the town were sold in 1840. By 1850 Carcoar was the second most populous town west of the mountains, second in size only to Bathurst and became a banking and administrative centre for the area.
In 1857 the town's public school opened. It has continued to function as a school since that day making it one of the oldest continuous schools in Australia. (no photo)
And just check out this great website www.carcoarvillage.com
Be sure to take that turn-off and then allow hours to digest.