The name Cobargo may have originated from the local Indigenous Australian word 'cubago' which some sources claim was used to describe nearby Mount Gulaga
The area was settled in the late 1820s when graziers moved stock into the district. William Duggan Tarlinton was the first white man to set foot in the district in 1829, seeking pasture for his cattle. Cobargo was known as 'The Junction' in the late 1860s as it was located at the junction of the Narira and Bredbatoura Creeks.
Cobargo's streetscape features many turn of the century buildings. It has developed in the last decade from a sleepy village into a popular tourist destination. Its attractions include olden-style stores, leather craftworks, potteries, an iron forge, award-winning winery, art galleries, tea rooms and antique shops.
There are lots of cute aspects with this town and a visit is essential.