Condobolin is a six ways town that can just about claim the title of being in the centre of NSW. All roads in the vicinity seem to point to this small and interesting town. Condobolin is encounted when traveling the Kidman Hgy and is a must visit town.
The name Condobolin is suggested by some to have evolved from the Aboriginal word Cundabullen — shallow crossing. The crossing was located a short distance below the junction of the Lachlan River and the Goobang Creek Others suggest that the town's name from the Wiradjuri word for 'hop bush', or 'hop brush'.
The area was explored by John Oxley in 1817. The 'Condoublin' run was established by 1844. There had been squatters in the district since Mitchell's 1836 exploration. Closer settlement of the area began in 1880 when the large runs were broken up into smaller holdings.
The town of Condobolin was proclaimed in 1859. The railway arrived in 1898, and the town's population boomed, assisted by finds in 1885 of copper north of the town and in 1896 of gold in the district, north-west of the town. In more recent years irrigation has brought horticulture and cotton to the Lachlan River area.
Condobolin is now a service town to quite a vast district. Heritage is clearly important, but the town lost its 98 year theater to fire early January 2012. The series of bold red brick buildings in the main street is quite something.
Condobolin is a really nice town and an overnight should be a consideration.