GLADSTONE NSW

Gladstone and Smithtown are joint towns, only separated by the Macleay River. Gladstone is an old historic precinct that goes back over a 100 years. Smithtown by contrast and for the most part, is a post war community, but with strong links to a much earlier era. These towns will be encounted when travelling between South West Rocks and Kempsey.

Gladstone is a small town on the banks of the Macleay River. The town of Gladstone lies across on the southern side of the river.

The town was named after Robert Smith, a member of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly, when the post office was established in 1877.

Smithtown, on the other hand is also a small town on the banks of the Macleay River. The town of Smithtown lies across on the northern side of the river.

Smithtown also, was named after Robert Smith, a member of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly.

Gladstone is historic. Smithtown is industrial.

The Anglican and United Churches in Gladstone are classic. There are no churches in Smithtown.

The Gladestone hotel in Gladstone is heritage listed. The Smithtown Riverside Hotel is now a tavern. Was this building its forerunner???

The Gladstone War Memorial is a significant acknowledgement for such a small town.

Most heritage and interesting buildings are in Gladstone.

These two towns are quite historic; the temptation to linger awhile should not be resisted.

Heritage diary

 

 

Fireplace   Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
Internet   Caravan
  Camping   4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
  Laundry Toilets
  Campervans Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
Rotary Club Lions Club
  Gymnasium   Gardens
Winery Whitewater Rafting
  Surfing   Skydiving
  Skiing   Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
  Movie Location Mountain Biking
Kayaking Jet Boating
  Information   Hospital
  Hang Gliding   Golf Course