Glen Innes is encounted when travelling the New England Hgy between Armidale and the Qld border. Glen Innes is also a crossroads town that services the rich New England district. Heritage is clearly important and the towns ‘main street project’ is paying dividends. There are no power lines and this creates a wide open street avenue look. Glen Innes is also a friendly and engaging community.
In about 1838 an Archibald Boyd registered the first run in the Glen Innes district. Two stockmen known as “the Beardies” because of their long beards took Boyd to this area to establish his run.
The Major Archibald Clunes Innes, an early squatter sold this run to an Archibald Mosman. The name Glen Innes is believed to be bestowed by Mosman in honour of AC Innes. Glen Innes was gazetted as a town in 1852 and the first lots were sold in 1854.
The centre of the town retains some of its federation buildings and the owners have painted these buildings in the traditional colours. Many of these buildings have been placed on the Register of the National Estate.
All of the traditional churches are classic buildings of the federation era. The Catholic almost cathedral. The United Church is quite magnificent. The Anglican traditional also. The Presbyterian and Baptist are also represented