Grafton is in fact two distinct municipalities that only in relative recent times have become one. South Grafton came first. Early explorers reached the banks of the big Clarence River and set up shop so to speak. Over time with at first a ferry and then the Bridge, North Grafton was settled and in time grew, until it was the biggest and also the commercial hub. Both North and particularly South Grafton have maintained 'independence'. Amazing to observe.
Grafton, like many other settlements in the area, was first opened up to white settlement by the cedar-getters. An escaped convict, Richard Craig, 'discovered' the district in 1831. With the wealth of 'red gold' cedar just waiting for exploitation, he was given a pardon and one hundred pounds to bring a party of cedar-getters on the cutter 'Prince George' to the region.
The towns are also known the double decker road/rail bridge that opened in 1932, completing the standard gauge rail connection between Sydney and Brisbane, and also forming a vital link for the Pacific Highway the Bridge is a one of a kind and is a major feature on the Clarence River in Grafton.
There is a lot to enjoy in Grafton a few days are recommended.