Hillston is the next town encounted when travelling the Kidman Hgy. Hillston is a very remote NSW town. Unsealed roads are a potential feature should the traveller head west from this point. The town of Hillston is like a small oasis. On the banks of Lachlan River give Hillston a serene and pretty environment.
John Oxley and his exploration party were the first visitors to the Hillston district, in 1817. Oxley wrote in his journal: "country uninhabitable and useless for all purposes of civilized man".
The locality of present-day Hillston was a crossing-place for stock on the Lachlan River. The earliest European name for the place was ‘Daisy Plains’ or ‘Daisy Hill’. Later it became known as “Redbank” (following the Wiradjuri name 'Melnunni', meaning “red soil”). In 1863 a stockman named William Ward Hill from nearby “Roto” station established an inn – the Redbank (now Tattersalls) Hotel – at the location. The Club House Hotel is at the other end of the street.
Hillston developed as a service centre to the surrounding pastoral holdings, so the pace of development of the township was closely linked to prevailing conditions as they affected the district pastoral enterprises.