Inverell is very pretty and progressive mid-sized town in NSW servicing a wealthy rural community. Inverell is quite lucky, that the town is quite a long way from other bigger cities that could milk the town’s economic base. For the most part the wealth that is generated in the region is spent locally at Inverell.
In 1848 Alexander Campbell held the 50,000-acre (200 km2) Inverell Station on the Macintyre River. The name derives from the name of Mr. MacIntyre's estate. The word is of Gaelic origin, and signifies "meeting place of the swans"; from "Inver a meeting place, and "Ell", a swan.
There are also some mining activities with tin, sapphires, zircons and diamonds (mainly industrial) being found. Inverell is known as the ‘Sapphire City’ because of the sapphires that found throughout the local district. The area is recognised for its sapphires, contributing to a major part of Australia's sapphire production.
Copeton Dam, the district's main water supply, holds three times the capacity of Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour), and is so large that when it is below 3% of its capacity during drought, it still has enough water to supply the town for up to ten years without water restrictions.
The Anglican, United and Presbyterian Churches are 100 year buildings. The Catholic is modern. When the church had to be rebuilt, sadly this poor option won the day.The Salvation Army Church is mid fifties.
To get the best out of the town a few days are required when visiting.