KENDALL

Kendall is a very small town just 3ks off Hgy No 1 encounted when traveling between Port Macquarie and Taree. Kendall and Kew are now a slight diversion trip. If there is an interest in poetry then the Kendall diversion is a must.

Kendall was originally named Camden Heads, as it is located on the Camden River. In was renamed Kendall, in 1891, after the Australian poet Henry Kendall, and not, as some tourists suspect, after the similarly-spelled ancient town of Kendal in England. Henry Kendall lived in the area from 1875 to 1881 when he was the first Forest Inspector for New South Wales.

Head south-west out of town and turn left into Batar Creek Rd where you will find the Norfolk Punch Factory - a mud-brick structure where traditional Norfolk punch is brewed. You can tour the factory, enjoy a glass of hot or cold punch and inspect the kitchen museum or herb garden.

The churches in Kendall are quite old. The Catholic and United being turn of the century buildings.

The Kendall War Memorial has good profile in the main street. The Kew Profile much less.

The Royal Hotel at Kew is the watering spot from a hotel perspective. This old 100 year plus pub that once serviced a slower era.

Kendall and Kew are small towns struggling to survive the changed traffic environment, but that said Kendall is steeped in poetic history.

Heritage diary

 

 

  Fireplace   Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
  Internet   Caravan
  Camping   4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
  Laundry Toilets
  Campervans   Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed   Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
  Rotary Club   Lions Club
  Gymnasium   Gardens
Winery   Whitewater Rafting
  Surfing   Skydiving
  Skiing   Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
  Movie Location   Mountain Biking
Kayaking   Jet Boating
  Information   Hospital
  Hang Gliding Golf Course