Laurieton is a small town encounted when traveling the tourist route from Port Macquarie to Taree. Laurieton is a small service town, being coastal, also has resort features. Laurieton has a couple of special attributes that determines a visit.
Long before European settlement the Laurieton area was home to the Birpai people.
Captain Cook named "the Brothers" on 12 May 1770 for their resemblance to mountains in his native Yorkshire. He was unwittingly mirroring the name given to them by the Birpai.
There was also a small garrison of soldiers to catch escaping convicts. In 1827 the area was surveyed by Armstrong and Guilding as part of an assessment for the then NSW Govt.
Joseph Laurie J.P. (1832–1904) had timber interests in the Laurieton area in partnership with his brothers Andrew and Alexander He moved to the area from Taree in 1872 and took charge of the Laurieton post office when it opened on 1 Oct 1875. Until the opening of the post office the area was known as Peach Orchard or Peach Grove (sources differ) and the name change recognised the Laurie family's local influence.
St Joseph's, Laurieton Catholic Church and gardens are something quite special. Two things; firstly make sure you visit and secondly allow time to absorb the brilliance of this quite special project by the church.