Mendooran is a small crossroads town equidistant from six other centres, some major and will be encounted by the Dunedoo/ Gilgandra traveller. The town has been negatively hit by the changing demographics in the country areas, most notably shorter travel times. Mendooran is still a service town to a wealthy region.
The first white person to visit the area was Surveyor John Evans who came as close as 10 kilometres from Mendooran in 1815. Two years later it was John Oxley that passed through the area while conducting one of the first inland expeditions. 'Mendooran' station was established in 1834. It is believed that the name came from an Aboriginal word meaning 'sand washes down from the hills in this place'. Lucerne, wheat and sheep were established on the station in later years. The village was called Mundooran until the 1920's when the name was changed to Mendooran.
The John Bull Inn was erected to serve the passing traffic of the 1860s. A bridge was erected over the Castlereagh River in 1869 which increased the road traffic and contributed to local development. The town was laid out in 1881 with a school, police station and courthouse being built.