Moruya is a bit of a surprise town. Firstly, because most people will not have heard of the place, but secondly because this a pretty fantastic place. Heritage plus a big chunk of influence with Australia’s greatest icon; the Sydney Harbour Bridge. An amazing fact.
The name Moruya is derived from an Indigenous Australian word, mherroyah, meaning "home of the black swan". Black swans can still be seen in the lakes and rivers around Moruya, and the black swan is used locally as an emblem.
The first European settler was Francis Flanagan from Ireland who settled at Shannon View in 1829. The town centre was surveyed in 1850 and the town gazetted in 1851. Moruya was proclaimed a municipality in 1891.
The Moruya Quarry became known as the Government Quarry, opened in 1876 on the northern bank of the Moruya River. From 1925 to 1932, the Harbour Bridge works saw 250 stonemasons employed. The Moruya Quarry is still operated by the New South Wales Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Natural Resources. A cenotaph acknowledges this contribution.
Other local industries were timber getting, gold mining, dairying and of course the quarrying for granite.
Moruya most likely will not feature on the visit list. Be sure to stay over and enjoy.