Orange is the next major centre encounted on the now Mitchell Hgy heading to Dubbo (or vice versa). Orange is both an historic and young (pop wise) centre. There is no museum in Orange and this may explain that there is a ‘rough edge’ to the town.
On a plan dated 1829, a village reserve, in the parish of Orange. Sir Thomas Mitchell named the parish Orange, as he had been an associate of the Prince of Orange in the Peninsular War, when both were aides-de-camp to the Duke of Wellington, whose title was bestowed on the valley westward, by Oxley. Blackman's Swamp was decided upon and proclaimed a village and named Orange by Major Thomas Mitchell in 1846 in Honour of Prince William of Orange.
At nearby Ophir the first payable discovery of gold in Australia was made in 1851 which led to the Australian gold rush. Subsequent discoveries of gold in nearby areas led to the establishment of Orange as a central trading centre for the gold.