Portland is a small town encounted when traveling from Lithgow to Bathurst via the alternative route. In 1894, the village was gazetted as Portland, the name derived from the cement-making process which was already well underway in the area.
The first European in the area was James Blackman who surveyed roads in the area in 1820 and today Blackmanís Flat and Blackmanís Crown bear the family name.
The town of Portland is of interest as an historic mining town, and also as the place of the first cement factory in Australia. Portland really got its start when Thomas Murray selected 61 hectares of land in 1863 and constructed his first lime kiln on what is now the corner of Lime and Villiers Streets. The Cullen Bullen Lime and Cement Company established operations in the village that year. During the early 1890s, the first cement-making kilns west of the Blue Mountains were built in Portland.
The cement works opened in 1902 and Portland was declared a town in 1906. Many of the original buildings in Portland were built by the cement works company for employees and still stand. Well-known Australian brand names now adorn many of the historic shops and buildings, creating a strong link to "yesteryear" that is celebrated by the town. Many old and heritage buildings survive to this day.