Rylstone is another heritage surprise town. For such a small town the heritage management and traveler communication is first rate. The very strange English name of 'Rylstone' has no clear origin however several possible origins are promoted.
The district was originally known as Dabee (under various spellings). There are many contemporary newspaper references to the town being referred to as Ryalston in the period 1846 to mid-1850's then referred to as Ryalstone during the late 1850's Rylstone town was laid out in 1846 by surveyor Davidson.
Michael Hayes who built the Shamrock Hotel and other buildings at The Junction (where the Cudgegong River and Tong Bong Creek meet) claims responsibility.
Firstly, on travelling through the area he mentioned sleeping on 'that Ryle Stone' his Irish accent converting what was actually said 'Royal Stone'. Then;
· A small village also known as Rylstone in Yorkshire England is near to where wool was sent from properties in the Rylstone area.
· Another tale suggests the Scots had a weapon called a Ryle Stone. This weapon being used when the Scots were at war with the Picts (England) and Scottish shepherds built their huts at the location of the current village of Rylstone.
· A petition was sent to Governor Gipps asking for a village to be called Tong Bong to be established at the present site of Rylstone. There is no evidence of any connection between Governor Gipps and the English village of Rylstone.
· Early maps spell Rylstone as Rylstone.
When visiting allow plenty of time. This is an interesting town.