Tuncurry is the poor cousin to the Forster-Tuncurry twin towns. The towns are separated by 500 mtre bridge. Tuncurry though has retained a quaintness that is a nice contrast to the endless resorts and semi high rise and blocks of holiday units. Tuncurry is the fishing port side of the inlet.
At the 2006 census, The Forster-Tuncurry area had a population of 18,372 people. The population of Tuncurry is 5,717.
The first land grant in this area was in 1875. The settlement was originally called North Shore and then North Forster and was renamed Tuncurry meaning "plenty of fish" in 1891 and then proclaimed a village in 1893.
The area was well known in the early days for its timber cutting and sawmills. Timber was collected from the lakes and rivers by the logpunts (droghers).
A bridge was built linking Forster and Tuncurry in 1959 replacing the punt service that had operated since 1890.
The region's local cinema, Great Lakes Cinema 3, is based on the Tuncurry side of the bridge and there is a heritage Museum that also services both towns.