Wingham is a small and interesting town that is quite close to Taree. For the traveller Wingham is a destination town that requires a diversion from Hgy 1. This small town has the classic town square planning configuration which is uncommon in Australia.
The first land grant in the area was made at The Bight to George Rowley in 1841. Wingham was chosen as a location for a government settlement because supply boats could not proceed any further up the Manning River and was also located on the road from Raymond Terrace to Port Macquarie. Named after Wingham in Kent, England, Wingham was proclaimed a village in 1844.
Wingham's main street, Isabella Street runs east west and fronts the typically English town square, Central Park. Around the eastern end Central Park are the Wingham Brush Public School, the Victorian style buildings built in 1907 and now a council building with Library at the rear, the state heritage listed Post Office, built in 1884, and a telephone exchange.
Along the southern side of the park runs Farquhar Street which has a private residence but also the Courthouse, built in 1934, the 1909 style police station, Catholic Presbytery, St. Joseph's Catholic School, Our Lady of Perpetual Succor Catholic Church. The Anglican is also old and other denominations are present.
Bent Street runs along the western side of Central Park and is home to the Australian Hotel, the Wingham District Memorial Services Club, formerly a RSL Social Club and various shops. Shops also dominate the northern side of the park.
Central Park itself is home to "The Log," a massive log felled in the surrounding countryside which serves to remind the townsfolk of the timber industry.