Wyong is now a Pacific Highway by-pass
town, but not that long back was traffic jam respite location. Day and
night the traffic crawled through the main street. The wellbeing of
the town plus central coast sprawl has seen the town and region grow
Wyong was proclaimed a town
Wyong is situated on the traditional land of
Aboriginal people. Wyong is an indigenous word meaning either 'an
edible yam' or 'place of running water'. The first European settler to
settle in the area and bring cattle and sheep into the district, on a
1,000 acres (4 km2) land grant bordering Wyong Creek in
Historical Sites include;
Alison Homestead, Cape Road, Wyong Built
by Charles Alison, c 1885.
Chapmans Store, Cnr Alison Rd. & Hely
St., Wyong Opened in 1901.
Court House, Alison Road, Wyong (built
This building is built on the site of the first Post Office which
opened in 1892 and Police Station
St Cecilia’s Church, Byron St.,
Built in 1908, it is the oldest church in Wyong and is still in use
today. The Anglican Church is modern.
"Strathavon", Boyce Avenue, Wyong. Dates
from 1912-1913, formerly known as "Hakone".
Turreted buildings, Cnr Church St,
Wyong. Built by Albert Hamlyn Warner, 1915.
Wyong Public School, Alison Rd., Wyong.
1889, last used as school Sep. 1979.
The General Store is a relic from the
Wyong is served by a busy and complex/siding rail
The Wyong War Memorial is located one block removed
from the main strip.
The Wyong pubs are both over 100 years old.
The Royal Hotel
a classic with much history to relate.
Wyong is now a town that is rarely visited by the
average traveler. The unlikely prospect that Wyong would coincide with
refreshment or coffee time determines it is not necessary to visit.