Blackbutt is a small town encounted when traveling the D’arguila Hgy west (or east) from Kilcoy heading to Nanango and beyond. Blackbutt is a valley town that has most essential services. Blackbutt prides itself as a ‘great sense of humour’ town, and this is evident with the people and some signs.
European settlement in the Blackbutt area began in 1842, when the Scott family established Taromeo station. In 1887, the Scott family ceded land to found both Blackbutt and its neighbouring town of Benarkin. Blackbutt is named for the blackbutt trees (Eucalyptus pilularis) native to the area. Farms were established in the area and the discovery of gold in the area in the late 19th century led to population growth in the town. Blackbutt was connected to the Brisbane Valley rail line in 1905. The line was closed in the 1980s and is now a popular rail trail.