Gayndah is crossroads town that lies between Gympie, Monto and Kingaroy. Gayndah is quite a nice town that has bit going for it. The town services a rich citrus fruit industry. Wheat and livestock are also agricultural strengths.
The name Gayndah is of Aboriginal origin and comes either from Gu-in-dah (or Gi-un-dah), meaning 'thunder', or from Ngainta, meaning 'place of scrub'.
Exploration of the Gayndah area began in 1843. The first European settlers arrived in 1848, and the town was established in the following year. A post office was established at Gayndah in 1850. Agriculture and grazing have been the dominant industries of the area. The town is the centre of Queensland's largest citrus-growing area. The Gayndah Orange Festival is held every two years to celebrate this industry.
Gayndah was considered for the capital of Queensland, but lost to Brisbane because the river was not deep enough; making it impossible for large cargo ships to unload near the town Gayndah is the oldest official town in Queensland. The explorers Archer and James Charles Burnett established it in 1847. There are few heritage buildings that have survived to support the ‘oldest town’ claim.
In 1872, the town was the location where the hoax fish Ompax spatuloides was supposedly procured.
Gayndah is the sort of town that an overnight is recommended to do the visit justice.