INGLEWOOD

Inglewood is midway from Goondwindi to Warwick on the Cunningham Hgy. Inglewood is also a crossroads town for some north/south travellers. Inglewood is a quite a nice small town, with most essential services that look after a wide rural area. For the most part Inglewood presents as a ‘new’ town.

English botanist and explorer Allan Cunningham has been credited with being the first European to discover the Inglewood area. He passed through east of the present township in May 1827. The first settlement in the area was known as Browns Inn and was an important watering point for bullock teams moving west. The inn opened in the late 1850s on the south side of Macintyre Brook, and in 1862 a town was surveyed on the higher, northern side. Plans were drawn up for the present site and the name changed to Inglewood. Most of the hinterland consisted of station holdings which were selected as early as 1848 and were the start of the wool, cattle and wheat base of the region. A school was opened in 1872 and a hospital was built in 1921. Anglican, Catholic and Presbyterian churches opened in 1894, 1902 and 1906 respectfully.

The Inglewood Museum is located on the eastern fringe of the town.

The town has three pubs. This is a classic 100 year plus magnificent Qld example.

The basic congregational churches are now mostly modern.

The Inglewood War Memorial is one street removed from the main hgy.

Inglewood is a bit than just a small town; a reason to stop over is easily considered.

Heritage diary

 

 

 

Fireplace Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
Internet Caravan
Camping   4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
Laundry Toilets
Campervans Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed   Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
Rotary Club Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
  Winery   Whitewater Rafting
  Surfing   Skydiving
Skiing   Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
  Kayaking   Jet Boating
Information Hospital
Hang Gliding Golf Course