Stanthorpe is the first (or last) ‘major’ town encounted when traveling the New England Hgy to Warwick. Stanthorpe is both a crossroads town. Stanthorpe services a rich rural community, but is primarily pip fruit of various varieties, but primarily apples. Stanthorpe is a high altitude town that from time to time encounters snowfalls. Stanthorpe literally means 'tin town', as Stannum is Latin for 'tin' and thorpe is Middle English for 'village'.
Stanthorpe was founded by tin miners. People came from many countries to mine tin from 1872. Prior to 1872 this area boasted some large pastoral runs and a few prospectors in bark huts. At that time, the area was known as ‘Quart Pot Creek’. The Private Township of Stannum existed in the area along one side of the present main street. With the discovery of tin and the influx of miners and new businesses, a ‘more suitable’ name was sought by the town fathers. Thus, Stanthorpe became the name which encompassed all, as this area became for a time, the largest alluvial tin mining and mineral field in Queensland.
The sub-tropical climate was very suitable for growing cool climate fruits and vegetables. Grapes were first planted here in the 1860s with encouragement from the local Catholic parish priest Father Jerome Davadi to produce altar wine. His Italian descent made grape growing and wine production a familiar past time and the notion caught on in the area. There were plenty of Italian settlers and wine was made for home enjoyment.
There is quite a lot to like at Stanthorpe and an overnighter could be a consideration.