Beaconsfield is a destination town some 50k’s north of Launceston. Beaconsfield is a pretty town that is rich in history. Both good and sad. The town was recently famous for the saving of two miners who were trapped for a long period in the underground mine shaft.
The town lies in the heart of an apple-growing district and, at this point, the Tamar River supports numerous oyster leases.
Beaconsfield went through a series of names before reaching its present one. The town's site was originally known as Cabbage Tree Hill and, when gold mining began in the 1870s, it became known as Brandy Creek. The present name was given to the town in 1879, when it was proclaimed, by Governor Weld. It was named to Honour the Prime Minister of Great Britain, Benjamin Disraeli, the Earl of Beaconsfield
It is thought that gold was first discovered in the area in 1847 although it wasn't until 1869 that alluvial gold was panned. By 1877 major gold companies were in the area and by 1881 Beaconsfield was known as the richest gold town in Tasmania. At its peak there were 53 companies working the goldfields and, for a while in the 1870s, there were two iron smelting companies working in the area.
When considering accommodation options Beauty Point may suit best. Allow a day or three when visiting.