Bothwell is encounted when travelling the inland route from Hobart to Devonport (or vice versa) via the Western Tiers mountain and lakes area. Bothwell is a diversion for other travellers. The diversion is recommended; but insisted if you play golf.
Bothwell is a quiet farming town on the Clyde River. It was named after a town in Lanarkshire, Scotland by Governor George Arthur in 1824.
The first European into the area had been Lieutenant Thomas Laycock who, while traversing the island from Port Dalrymple (Launceston) to Hobart in 1806, camped beside the Fat Doe River (subsequently renamed the Clyde River) near the present site of the town. Laycock was trying to reach Hobart because the settlement at Port Dalrymple was running out of food. The area was explored in some detail in 1817 and by 1821 settlers had taken up land along the banks of the river.
The town was laid out in 1824 with the two broad main streets being named Alexander (after Alexander Reid of 'Ratho') and Patrick (after Patrick Wood of Denistoun). There are a number of heritage buildings.
It is claimed that the first game of golf in Australia was played on Alexander Reid's property 'Ratho' in the 1820s - the course where this famous event took place is still in use and can be played by keen golf lovers. This golf course lays claim to being the longest and continuous golf club in the southern hemisphere. The claim is credible and a visit to the museum will convince.
The strong Scottish element in the early population is evident everywhere. The town's St Luke's Presbyterian (now uniting) Church, which was built between 1828-31, is the second oldest Presbyterian Church in Australia. The Anglican is an historical design, but the Catholic somewhat a modern building.
Bothwell is the home of Australia's first Aberdeen Angus stud.
The sad part about the Bustout visit there is no referral in the town the golf course. Can you believe that; be sure to visit though.