Bruny Island's history is, in many ways, the history of Tasmania. It was inhabited for thousands of years by Aborigines before Abel Tasman, the first European in the region, sailed along its shore. A short drive from Hobart to Kettering is the launch place for the ferry visit to Bruny Island.
In spite of many English explorer visits it was the French explorer, Bruni D'Entrecasteaux, who gave his name to both the island and the channel which separates Bruny Island from the mainland. The spelling of the island from Bruni to Bruny was changed in 1918.
In 1773 Tobias Furneaux, who was exploring the coastline with Captain James Cook, anchored his vessel, the Adventure (after whom the island's main bay has been named), off the islands coast. Four years later on 26 January 1777 Cook sailed the Resolution and Discovery into Adventure Bay and stayed for two days. His contact with the Aborigines who lived on the island was amicable.
In 1788 Captain Bligh anchored the Bounty in Adventure Bay and planted some seeds. It is claimed that Bligh was responsible for the first apple tree on the 'Apple Isle'. He returned in 1792. The last Tasmanian Aboriginal, Truganiniwas from Bruny Island
Today Bruny Island has become a popular day trip from Hobart. It is only 37 km via the A6 to Kettering where the vehicular ferry to Roberts Point on North Bruny departs ten times a day, eleven on Friday and eight times on Sundays. With a range of activities for visitors and a number of unpretentious accommodation destinations the island seems far removed from any kind of overt commercialization.