Located 34 km south west of
Launceston, Cressy is a small, attractive, and historically
significant town which came into existence in the 1850s to service the
surrounding wheat farms.
Cressy was named after a land
grant which was taken up in 1826 by a British company which had been
formed to exploit Van Diemen's Land's agricultural potential. The
reason for the name was not discovered.
This substantial wheat farm
prospered until 1856 when it was broken up. It was around this time
that a distinctive settlement emerged.
The Cressy Hotel
been opened in 1845 and the town came into existence around 1855.
Today many of the original
homesteads and farm buildings exist around the tiny township and the
area is still noted as an important producer of oats, barley, peas and
It is known as Tasmania's
'Trout capital' for the good fishing in the area. It is also home to
an extensive agriculture research facility for the Tasmanian Institute
of Agricultural Research.
Cressy has one of the smallest Police Stations you may encounter
The Cressy War Memorial is
located at the northern entrance to the town.
and Anglican are
active in Cressy. The Anglican the largest and oldest.
Cressy is a drive through
town that is encounted when traveling to ‘the lakes’ if the timing is
right have a coffee or refreshment and admire the trout and the
painted telegraph poles.