Devonport is the gateway town (or exit) to/from Tasmania. This economic and tourism benefit ensures a high level of day to day commerce. This Tassie town jumps. Devonport is a city in the northwestern part of Tassie and is situated at the mouth of the Mersey River. Devonport is the major regional centre of the north western part of the state.
During the 1850s the twin settlements of Formby and Torquay were established on opposite banks at the mouth of the Mersey River. Torquay was the larger community with police, post, magistrate, at least three hotels, shipyards and stores. From 1870–1880 the shipping industry grew and work was undertaken to deepen the mouth of the river. When the mouth of the river could support a shipping industry the first regular steamer services commenced operating directly between the Mersey and Melbourne.
In 1889 the Bluff lighthouse was completed and the turn of the Century saw the railway make a significant difference to the Formby community. It combined a railhead and port facilities in the one place. A wharf was created on the west bank close to the railway and warehouses and situated in the main wharf area. The railway brought a building boom to Formby. In 1890 a public vote united Torquay and Formby, and the settlements became the town of Devonport.