Evandale is situated on the South Esk River 20 km south of Launceston and a few kilometres beyond Launceston airport. Evandale is one of the trifecta that includes Perth and Longford. All a minute from each other
Governor Lachlan Macquarie travelled through the Evandale area in both 1811 and 1821. On his first visit he decided that a town should be built in the area and designated a site, about 3 km south east of the present town, as a suitable location.
The European settlement of the district came in a number of waves. The first settlers arrived in 1816. One of the first settlers was George Collins, from Norfolk Island, and for a time the town was known as Collins Hill.
The town was named after the surveyor and painter, George William Evans, who spent much of his later life in Van Diemen's Land. At one time he was appointed deputy-surveyor of lands in the colony.
Among the town's more unusual inhabitants was a convict named John Kelly who achieved a certain fame and notoriety when his son, Ned, became a successful bushranger.
The economic wealth of Evandale is historically based on its highly successful agriculture.