Geeveston is encounted when heading south from Hobart through the Huon Valley. Geeveston is the last main commercial centre after Huonville south of Hobart. Geeveston is an interesting, small settlement located 62 km south west of Hobart on the Huon Highway.
Geeveston is economically dependent on the local timber industry which supplies sawmill in the district as well as the huge Australian Paper Mills pulp mill at Hospital Bay. The pulp mill was opened in 1962 and its deep sea wharf is capable of loading two ships simultaneously.
Although the area was explored as early as 1804, only months after the establishment of the colony at Hobart Town, it was deemed unsuitable for development. It wasn't until Lady Jane Franklin established the community at Franklin that any serious attempt to settle the Huon Valley occurred.
Life in the early Franklin settlement was extremely hard and many of the early settlers were forced to move away. Amongst these settlers was the family of William Geeves who moved to Lightwood Bottom in 1850. The town's name was changed to Geeves Town in 1861 and this eventually became Geeveston. There are many wood carving tributes to the early settlers. These carvings have personality.
The economy of Geeveston is basically driven by apple growing and timber. In season the fields beside the road are thick with apple trees sagging under the weight of their fruit and it is commonplace to be caught behind a timber truck hauling huge logs from the nearby forests to the local mills and pulping operation. The Timber Heritage Museum is a must visit.