Longford is the last of that trifecta of towns just south of Launceston. Longford is also the most commercial an economically progressive of the three. The others being Evandale and Perth. Longford is most likely not encountered. We recommend the visit to the town group and that Longford is the base.
Longford (a classified historic town) was named after a county in Ireland by the colonial surveyor, Roderic O'Connor.
Longford was first explored by Europeans when Jacob Mountgarrett and Ensign Hugh Piper passed through in 1806. The following year Lieutenant Laycock, journeying from north to south, camped near the present townsite.
The first settlers arrived in 1807 when a large number of free land holding farmers were moved to Van Diemen's Land from Norfolk Island. At this time the district became known as Norfolk Plains and the early settlement was known as Latour until it was changed to Longford in 1833.
The town itself grew up around the Longford Hotel built in 1827. Through the 1830s-1850s the town acquired a large number of notable and historically significant buildings.
The major historic attraction in Longford in Christ Church, a sandstone building which dates from 1839. The church clock and bell were both gifts from George IV; its stained glass window is impressive.
Other buildings of note include the Queen's Arms (a stuccoed Georgian hotel dating from 1835) at 69 Wellington Street, the Blenheim Hotel (1846) in Marlborough Street and the former Tattersall's Hotel (1860) This apparent excess of hotels and inns (many of which have been turned into private dwellings) reveals the importance of Longford in the mid-nineteenth century.