RINGAROOMA

Ringarooma is not a town that you may encounter. The traveller will have to take the short diversion to visit. This very small township was established in the 1860s after the Tasmanian Government provided a grant of 100 pounds in 1859 to build a road (it had to be hacked out of the dense forests) from Launceston to Ringarooma. To service the surrounding farming community.

The district was soon opened up to farming in the late 1860s, and the town itself was founded in 1882 when a rural property was subdivided into lots by landowner Christopher Krushka. It was initially known as Krushka Town before being renamed Ringarooma in November 1888, taking on the name of a coastal town near Bridport, which was renamed Boobyalla. Today, Ringarooma is a small town surrounded by farming country near mountains such as Mount Victoria and Ben Lomond.

The Ringarooma War Memorial is represented at the Memorial Hall.

The Museum at Ringarooma is quite different and is worth a long look.

The Ringarooma Hotel is a grand 100 year plus classic.

The Catholic and Anglican Churches at Ringarooma are old wooden 100 year old buildings.

The village to the north of Ringarooma was named Legerwood, after a town in Scotland which the explorer James Scott called home. It was established in 1862. It has a mineral water  processing plant,

In recent times Legerwood has become famous for the wood carving statues. Up to 3000 people a day are visiting these carvings. Here’s why

 

 

  Fireplace   Dump Station
General Store   Bottled Gas
  Internet   Caravan
  Camping   4WD
Kitchen Facilities   Disabled access
  Laundry Toilets
  Campervans   Accommodation
Meals   Airport
  Pets Allowed   Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic   Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
  Rotary Club   Lions Club
  Gymnasium   Gardens
  Winery   Whitewater Rafting
  Surfing   Skydiving
  Skiing   Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
  Movie Location   Mountain Biking
  Kayaking   Jet Boating
Information   Hospital
  Hang Gliding   Golf Course