Located 26 km east of Hobart on the Arthur Highway, Sorell is a service town for the surrounding farming communities. It lies in the heart of an area which was once the grain capital of Van Diemen's Land.
The Sorell district was explored in 1805 by Lieutenant Governor Collins. It was Collins who named the shallow stretch of water between Sorell and Midway Point, Pittwater after the then Chancellor of the Exchequer, William Pitt. The name Pittwater was given to the whole district until 1821 when the settlement was named after Lieutenant Governor William Sorell (Governor of Van Diemen's Land - April 1817 - May 1824).
From the first settlement of the area in 1815 until the 1860s Sorell was known as the most important grain centre in Van Diemen's Land. It was so productive that some year’s grain was actually shipped out to New South Wales.
There are three National Estate listed churches in Sorell. Of the three St George's Anglican Church in Gordon Street is the most impressive. Built in 1826 and rebuilt in 1883 this small and attractive stone, gothic style church is an impressive part of the town centre. Scot's Church (1842) built to a design by James Blackburn, with gabled roof, a central tall square tower, semi-circular arch-topped entrance and buttresses. The Roman Catholic Church, which is over the road from Scot's, is a small and simple sandstone
Sorrell is a nice historic stepping stone to Hobart, Port Arthur and Richmond; enjoy the visit.