Ulverstone is now a by-pass town and may not be encounted. Ulverstone lies between Devonport and Burnie and is a coastal town of substance. At the 2006 census, Ulverstone had a population of 9,760. Making it the state's largest town
The present-day town area was first settled by Europeans in 1848, when Andrew Risby, his wife Louisa and their five young children arrived to settle and develop farmland from, essentially, a thickly forested wilderness.
The name Ulverstone is first known to have been used in 1854 when Hugh Ross McKay opened the Ulverstone store. It is named after Ulverston in England and which also sits at the estuary of a river called Leven. n.b. Ulverston, U.K. was spelled Ulverstone until late in the 19th Century
Ulverstone grew quite quickly during the 1890s. There is rich farming land in this part of Tasmania, which makes it attractive and prosperous, and this stretch of the coast attracts increasing numbers of retirees.