Bendigo was once, in late eighties the richest town in the world. Bendigo is the ultimate ‘gold rush’ town of Victoria, and then it is not surprising the legacy of the wealth be on display. Magnificent promenades, parks and beautiful buildings, and not the least the Catholic Cathedral.
Originally taking its name from the Bendigo Creek, the name became official in 1891. The creek was named after a famous local boxer and shepherd who had earned the nickname Bendigo in reference to the Nottingham prize-fighter, William Abednego Thompson, generally known as “Bendigo Thompson”.
Bendigo is notable for its Victorian Cultural heritage and gold mining history. Since 1851 over 22 million ounces of gold have been extracted from its goldmines, making it the highest producing 19th Century goldfield in Australia in the nineteenth century.
Bendigo's Catholic Cathedral is the third largest cathedral in Australia. The main building was completed in 1908 and the soaring spire between 1954 and 1977. The fact the cathedral was completed in the modern era is a credit to city fathers. Allow plenty of time to marvel this accomplishment. Plus the 100 year wooden Catholic survivor.