CANN RIVER

Cann River is the last (or first) town encounted when traveling east to NSW. Cann River is a very small cross roads town that has many essential services. Cann River is also an ideal location for a refreshment break or coffee. There are a number of coffee shops. Cann River is also the start (or end) point of the  Monaro hgy to Canberra.

The reason for the name Cann River remains a mystery.

Other features about Cann River are the town is located on the Cann River at the junction of the Princes Highway and Monaro Highway, in the Shire of East Gippsland. At the 2006 census, Cann River had a population of 223. The town is close to Lind National Park, Coopracambra National Park, and Croajingolong National Park, and is a popular stopping point for travellers between Melbourne and Sydney using the Princes Highway route.

The Post Office opened on 1 July 1890.

The delightful Anglica/United Church is a multi-denominational church. This church is open most days.

The Cann River Hotel is a popular watering hole for locals and the large number of travellers.

The Cann River War Memorial is a traditional acknowledgement, but given the small size of the town exceptional.

The traveller will not be able to miss Cann River, so stop to check out the church and War Memorial should also determine a coffee or refreshment will be in order.

Heritage diary

 

 

  Fireplace Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
Internet Caravan
Camping   4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
  Laundry Toilets
Campervans Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed   Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
  Scenic   Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
  Rotary Club   Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
  Winery Whitewater Rafting
  Surfing   Skydiving
Skiing   Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
Kayaking   Jet Boating
Information   Hospital
Hang Gliding   Golf Course