DROUIN

Drouin will soon be the next Cranbourne and will be an outer suburb of Melbourne. Thatís what freeways do. Make everything closer. Right now though Drouin still has country charm, but protection of heritage is under attack. There are a number of old buildings so fingers crossed.

The town is supposedly named after a Frenchman who invented a chlorination process for the extraction of ore or an Aboriginal word meaning "north wind". In 1867, a coaching station was established on the track into Gippsland at Brandy Creek, about 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) north-east of present Drouin. By the early 1870s, a small settlement had developed and land was being selected in the area.

Meanwhile, contracts had been let for the construction of a railway from Melbourne into Gippsland. Workers' camps were set up along the route which passed to the south of Brandy Creek. There were three camps in the vicinity of Drouin. After the Gippsland Railway opened in 1878, a township was surveyed at Drouin Junction, soon known as Drouin.

Lional Rose, the former world champion boxer and was the 1968 from Jackson's Track, just outside of Drouin.

The Catholic Church is a modern effort. The Anglican at least has a degree of classic line.

The Drouin War Memorial is located near the railway station.

The two Drouin pubs are 100 year plus classics, but are undated.

Drouin is a better than a pass through town. A coffee or a refreshment may be in order.

Heritage diary

 

 

Fireplace Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
Internet Caravan
Camping   4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
Laundry Toilets
Campervans Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed   Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
  Scenic Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
Rotary Club Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
  Winery   Whitewater Rafting
  Surfing   Skydiving
Skiing   Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
  Kayaking   Jet Boating
Information Hospital
Hang Gliding Golf Course