Dunolly is a crossroads town,
equidistant from St Arnaud and Bendigo. Dunolly will surprise the
visitor. Be prepared to spend time and be prepared to delight in this
small town. Dunolly is another of the gold rush towns in this region
of Victoria and has produced more nuggets than
any other goldfield in Australia. The town was first known as
Goldborough and the Post Office opened under that name on 1 March 1856
and was renamed Dunolly in 1859.
Given the town is an ‘old’ town,
pleasingly heritage is important.
of the largest natural gold nuggets ever, was discovered in nearby
Moliagul. Just south of the town.
the main street "Broadway" Dunolly features both a top and bottom pub,
hospital, grain terminal and a primary school.
There is a local
museum on "Broadway". It has a major collection of historic
photographs and goldfields implements that background the area.
The ‘gold’ past
has ensured Dunolly has become a favourite location for gold
fossicking using metal detectors. A number of small scale alluvial
mining operations work local "leads" using mechanical diggers.
The Dunolly War
Memorial is noted in multiple locations in the township.
Court House is a magnificent vestige of the early era of money and
All of the
church denominations practice in 150 old year plus buildings. These
are three great structures that will anchor the Dunolly heritage
Dunolly is sort of a long way from the main centres that should not
stop the effort to visit. Allow plenty of time.