Gisborne is just under halfway from Melbourne to Kyneton. Kyneton is still very much a country town. Gisborne is in danger of becoming a dormitory suburb of Melbourne, and sadly seems to be losing the battle to retain the importance of heritage factors. Gisborne is two part town. The shopping centre bit and the main street. There is a lot going for the town; wide open Main Street and the central fountain.
The town was named after Henry Fyshe Gisborne (1815–1841), the first Commissioner for Crown Lands of the Port Phillip District. Gisborne is part of the Shire of Macedon Ranges.
Gisborne Post Office opened on 22 March 1850 as Bush Inn but was renamed Gisborne ten days later.
In 1834, John Aitken a pastoralist arrived in Melbourne with others and deemed the land south of Mount Macedon ideally suited to sheep grazing. From the late 1830s, many farmers arriving from Tasmania and NSW and, began taking up areas of land in the surrounding districts.