Inglewood is a highway town on the Bendigo to Mildura route. Inglewood like most towns in the region is an old town with its roots backdating to the gold rush period. The narrow streets of Inglewood make a case the place will be bypassed one day but the locals should resist. The narrow streets give the place character. Should the visit occur in early spring be prepared for lots of colour.
Gold was first discovered in 1859 by Alexander, Joseph and Thomas Thompson and Joseph Hanny, and upon notification of the discovery some 16,000 diggers flocked to the area. By January 1860 a new field a few miles south of the original was opened up by Potter, Irvine and McKean, and dubbed New Inglewood. This is the site of the present township.
The population soon dwindled as the easily won alluvial deposits became exhausted, but as early as 1859, quartz reefs had been discovered, which resulted in the permanent settlement of a few thousand miners and businessmen.
In December, 1862, one of the most destructive fires recorded in the colony to that time occurred in the town’s main thoroughfare. A greater portion of the commercial precinct was burned to the ground, with damages estimated at over £100,000. The ultimate result of the fire was a transition from bark and canvasses establishments to more substantial brick and iron structures, many of which remain today.