Inverloch is a seaside village at the mouth of Anderson Inlet, and is located close to Australia’s southernmost stand of mangroves. Inverloch is a rapidly growing holiday centre and consequently everything is now ‘new’.
The first European to settle in the Inverloch area was Samuel Anderson, who, together with his brothers and Robert Massie, ran cattle and grew wheat in the area. The inlet on which the town is situated on is named Anderson Inlet after Samuel Anderson. The town was first named Andersons Inlet and later renamed Inverloch after Loch Inver (Lake Entrance) in Scotland.
The Post Office opened on 1 September 1883 as Anderson's Inlet and was renamed Inverloch in 1889. As the area developed Inverloch became a port for the shipment of black coal from area to Melbourne.
Australia’s first dinosaur bone, the Cape Paterson Claw, was discovered near Inverloch in 1903.
During 2005 and early 2006 the RACV built an eco-village holiday resort on the Cape Paterson Road near Inverloch.