Leongatha is encounted when traveling from Melbourne to Wilsons Promontory, or Sale via the Sth Coast (or vice versa). Leongatha is also a busy crossroads town. Leongatha has most essential services that support a rich rural base. Leongatha is a nice place.
First settlement of the area by Europeans occurred in 1845. The Post Office opened as Koorooman on 1 October 1887 and renamed Leongatha in 1891 when a township was established on the arrival of the railway.
The town is the commercial, religious, educational and civic centre of the region. Leongatha has a population of 4,504. The Catholic Church is a must visit. This is a magnificent building and has a ‘Michelangelo’ ceiling work. The Anglican Church also is a really nice proposition. The United is modern.
The Murray Goulburn Co-op, is a farmers' co-operative which trades in Australia under the Devondale label, and has a dairy processing plant just north of the town producing milk-based products for Australian and overseas markets.
There is no museum but the Historical Society operates near the Post Office.