LINTON

Linton is a very small town encounted on the Ballarat to Hamilton route. That said Linton fully qualifies for the synopsis. There are a number of nice features in the town, not the least the old shops and the silhouette pose.

The town was named after a pioneer family in an area. The Clarkesdale Bird Sanctuary lies to the south-east of the township, near Springdallah Creek.

Gold was found in 1848 in what later became known as Lintonís Diggings and Chinese people, among others, mined the local shafts until the gold ran out, the miners remained in the area and set up market gardens. The Post Office opened on 5 November 1857 as Linton's and was renamed Linton around 1860. Much mining equipment can still be found in the Linton district.

The Linton Hotel is a tavern type of pub that has some really great characteristics.

The Linton Museum is located in the centre of the town. The museum gives s good insight into the history of the region.

The Linton War Memorial is near the shire admin officers.

Linton has two active church groups. The Anglican on the hill, that is near century old and the Catholic Church that is over 100 years old.There is also plenty of heritage buildings that determine the traveller pause for awhile. A refreshment or coffee stop is in order

 

 

  Fireplace Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
  Internet Caravan
Camping   4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
  Laundry Toilets
Campervans   Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed   Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
  Scenic   Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
  Rotary Club   Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
  Winery   Whitewater Rafting
  Surfing   Skydiving
Skiing   Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
Movie Location   Mountain Biking
  Kayaking   Jet Boating
  Information Hospital
Hang Gliding   Golf Course