Loch is a town which was established in 1876. The town
was named in honour of the Governor of Victoria, Henry Loch. Loch is
encounted when traveling the Melbourne to Wilsons Promontory (or vice
versa) highway. Loch today is a heritage town that requires a slight
diversion from the main highway. A pretty little spot this is.
The town consists of a number of buildings, mostly
old. The restaurant and cafe set from Korumburra and the southern
reaches of Melbourne frequent this heritage town.
Loch is not in the heritage league Gulgong or Carcour,
but there is a fair bit on offer.
The Royal Hotel is a 1917 building. It is amazing that
such a grand building was contemplated during the height of the WW1,
let alone built.
The Loch Churches are a mix in ages. The Anglican
100 years plus building, but there is no ‘brand’ on the building or
grounds. The United
is both an old and modern. The Catholic Church
is at the northern approach and is an early century wooden building.
The Loch War Memorial is located just near the Post
Office. Understandably this a modest acknowledgement,
Loch is not the sort of town to set out and visit, but
if traveling in this vicinity a diversion is recommended.