SAN REMO

San Remo is the last town on Victorian Mainland, before crossing across to Phillip Island. San Remo is a resort town in its own right and has lots of nice features. Formed as a fishing village, its economy is now more largely based around tourism.

In 1797 Bass, a naval surgeon and explorer took a voyage in an open boat to explore the coastline. It was later explored on foot in 1826 by William Hovell. Around 1840 a deep-water port was established at Griffiths Point

The area around what is now San Remo was occupied for many hundreds of years by the Bururong people, sealers frequented the area before the Europeans settled the area in 1835. It was Samuel Anderson a Scottish immigrant who in 1835 established the third permanent settlement in Victoria at Bass.

A township grew around this port, and brought in tourists. In 1888 the township was named San Remo after the resort town in Italy. The Post Office opened on 14 August 1873 and was renamed San Remo in 1888.

The Anglican Church is an impressive 100 year plus wooden building. The Catholic Church is a more modern structure.

The San Remo hotels are great tourist pubs.

In 2008 a monument to those local professional fishermen lost at sea was erected. A cairn with the names of those lost at sea with navigation light atop is a main feature.

The San Remo War Memorial is located west of this cairn.

There is a lot to enjoy at San Remo, so during the Phillip Island visit an overnight should be put aside for San Remo.

 

 

  Fireplace Dump Station
General Store Bottled Gas
Internet Caravan
Camping   4WD
Kitchen Facilities Disabled access
Laundry Toilets
Campervans Accommodation
Meals   Airport
Pets Allowed Boat Ramp
Telephone Picnic Area
Roadside Rest Area Electricity
Scenic Swimming
Tap water   Thermal Area
Stream Water   Walking tracks
Rotary Club Lions Club
Gymnasium   Gardens
Winery Whitewater Rafting
Surfing   Skydiving
  Skiing Scenic Flights
Postal Service Police
  Movie Location   Mountain Biking
Kayaking Jet Boating
  Information   Hospital
  Hang Gliding   Golf Course